"What is Austin Texas like?"
"Is it for me?"
"Would I be happy there?"
If you're considering moving to Austin, or you've just arrived, these are questions you may be asking. This site is intended to help you answer them.
Maybe your job has relocated to Austin, and you with it. Or maybe you're thinking of moving to be closer to family, or just to make a change.
For whatever reason, you've heard about Austin, and are considering a move, but you want to know more.
Is Austin right for you? The answer is, of course, it depends. What features of a city do you care most about and what do you like to do? We've lived here for years and happen to love it here.
Good Quality of Life
Below are some of the features of Austin Texas that appeal to us:
- Low crime: Austin is among the safest cities of its size in the nation.
- Good economy: Texas overall has a robust economy and Austin's unemployment rate is lower than the national average.
- Big town amenities with small town convenience: Austin has the facilities of a large city but retains a small town feel.
- Friendly people: in our experience, Austinites are generally easygoing, helpful, and "Texas-friendly".
- Music and activities: as the "Live Music Capital of the World" with a young population, Austin has lots of music venues and active nightlife.
- Friendly weather: Austin has hot summer days but cool nights and mild winters, and we don't have to worry about preparing for blizzards, hurricanes, earthquakes, etc.
... But Not For Everyone
But we also realize it's not for everyone. Austin does have its downsides, of course. Compared to other parts of the country, California for instance, there's not as much outdoor recreation and natural scenery. Compared to New England, there's not as much history and cultural activities. And it does get real hot in the summer here.
Like we say, it all depends on your priorities and what you want in a city.
Get the Whole Story Right Here
This site is designed to tell the whole story about our town, the good, the bad, and the ugly, so you can make the most informed decision.
So stick around and find out more. And if you like what you see here, come out and visit for a day or two and have a look for yourself. Then you, too, can say, "I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as fast as I could."
Visitors Are Welcome Too
This site is intended mainly for people relocating to Austin Texas, but if you're just coming here on vacation or business you're also encouraged to look around this site. You'll find information about hotels, restaurants, nightlife, and events.
For information on a specific topic about Austin Texas, use the links at left or the table of contents below. Otherwise, visit the Austin City Info page for a short overview of our city to get you started.
Copyright ©2012-2014 AustinTexasInsider.com. All rights reserved.
Let this site be your guide
to finding your home in
beautiful Austin Texas
Matt Ji and Carol Lin have each
lived in Austin since 2005 and in
Texas since 2002. Between them,
they have also lived in Virginia,
Illinois, Nebraska, Ohio, Alabama,
Massachusetts, California, and
Arizona, so they have a first-hand
basis for comparing Austin to
other places in the country. The
information on this site is based
on their experiences and those of
their relatives, friends, and
acquaintances, plus data from
printed and online news sources,
websites, and forum postings.